About Open at Scale
Open at Scale is a targeted approach to open educational resource (OER) development. It is the decision to focus on a single subject vertical, identify gaps in the landscape, leverage existing assets and build out the rest. The Open at Scale approach originated in Ontario through conversations with passionate practitioners and leaders that saw an opportunity to pursue open education at a systemic level. Open at Scale projects are designed by and for Ontario institutions and supported by eCampusOntario.
About the Open at Scale – Nursing OER Project
The Open at Scale – Nursing OER Project focuses on savings for Ontario Nursing students and high impact, flexible learning resources for faculty.
The following elements below were identified as critical to success:
- Modular development to support maximum flexibility and reuse across institutions
- Integration of leading technology to support learning
- Development of additional resources to support teaching
Nursing faculty, librarians, instructional designers and leaders from across Ontario institutions have designed the Open at Scale project and developed a list of priority modules for maximum student benefit and savings. Practitioners also contributed to the development of a common instructional design template to guide future resource development.
At the same time, an environmental scan was conducted by a team of researchers at Western University and University of Windsor to uncover existing Business OER. The results of the environmental scan will be available soon on the Documents page of this site.
The Nursing Open at Scale team is working on:
- Training and support regarding CC licensing and Open Education more broadly
- Potential for matching existing and new OER content to Ontario Registered Nurse (RN) competencies
- Support for faculty champions to review resource materials
- Potential for intersection between Nursing resources developed and other Allied Health areas